Brainsnacks

Politics, Rock Music Gynaecology. Oh, and Sport. And Humour. Sorry, I also meant to say Science, Business & Religion. I'll probably add a few personal notes, experiences, observances, opinions and references to other interesting web locations too. Books, Theatre, Films, Technology, Food and Travel. Did I miss anything?

Friday, June 09, 2006

Sideways - A compact film review

I can see why so many people had their hearts stolen by this film, but it didn't quite have that effect on me. This film isn't the love of my life, but it is someone sweet who you want to kiss on the top of their head and make sure they're safe. (OK, metaphor borrowed shamelessly from Auntie Shell).
Miles, Maya coaxes him to reveal, is the human embodiment of the Pinot grape:

"A hard grape to grow...thin‑skinned, temperamental, ripens early...not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention."

He is us. The everyman, the gentleman loser, the person who aspires to be a more successful, bigger, better person and succeeds occasionally whilst failing on a more regular basis. I found myself longing for him to sieze the moment with Maya, despite loathing him for being so inconsiderate in the first 20‑30 minutes of the film. And Jessica Hecht is simply adorable in her cameo as his ex‑wife, Victoria. She demonstrates immediately why, two years after their divorce, he's still besotted with her. Her gentleness pours out like warm crème Anglaise. Virginia Madsen is ideally‑cast as Maya ‑ the considerate, sensitive, honest, cultured, intelligent woman we Pinots need. Hmmm, perhaps this film will grow to be one of my favourites. I think I'll watch it again. Soon.

8/10 ‑ a charming film to own and enjoy with good friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home